Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dear Emma,

You delighted some little children today when we were out to lunch with a friend.
You were as delighted as they were polite so i let them pet you
when their parents and they asked so I said yes
They were 4 and 6 and very gentle
You made them giggle in joy

The others around us smiled too
Do you realize how many smiles you bring to others?
Our neighbor (who loves dogs but no longer has one) says she is so glad to be back
from out of town and to see you outside with me.

Every place we go we seem to get smiles due to your presence
Okay when you once in awhile bark at those dogs walking with there owners on the street
sometimes it gets smiles (because they know you want to play)
and other times frowns (especially if their dog barks also

You are so adorable
People say "I just want to pet them and hug them"
LUCKY ME I do get to pet and hug you as much as I want.
I do get to take you everywhere with me.

Tonight I am going for a haircut
You even watch that inquisitively and behave so well.

I have to remind myself
that if you wiggle or fidget under the table while we eat (rare)
or bark (rare)
that you are a "dog"...

I forget when I have the privilage to bring you inside a library
church, or movie theater
That children and adults are often so surprised
and so interested in watching your behavior
because their pet dogs (or my former pet dogs)
could not behave that quietly

I am out with you so much
that I see the amazement on others faces
and stop a minute to think
YES TO ON LOOKERS IT CAN BE NEW AND EXCITING TO SEE A SERVICE DOG

I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE 'MY' SERVICE DOG
And assure people you do get hugs, kisses, time to play and lots of attention
from me...

with gratitude to all at Helping paws who train, foster, breed or help fund raise for helper dogs (all those roles that are so important. did i forget any?) I say thank you.

Mary

No comments: