Monday, April 19, 2010

Team training is going on right now. Those getting service dogs are learning how to be a "team" with the dog. For fun here is a glimpse of what i wrote while in team training. This was on my second day with Emma...

Tuesday, October 11, 2005
12:34 a.m.: Emma and I had a good first day of training. Yes, you can be sure they are training me - I didn't realize how little I knew about dog training. It is exciting to learn how they use behavior shaping which includes positive reinforcement. They gave us information on how the dogs were taught as puppies and what we will do now to work with the dogs on behavior. It is interesting that we review some basics with the dogs so that they get use to our voices, and our leadership. There were 4 people in our training today who are learning skills to use with our new dogs. Two more will be joining us. A team of presenters helped work with us. We received a manual with over 200 pages. I am reviewing what we learned today and we are also reading what will be covered tomorrow. The dogs were beautiful - yellow labs and golden retrievers. I didn't know a black lab and yellow lab could be from the same litter till I met Emma's sibling. Emma is petite compared to the other dogs.
When Judy came to pick up the dog after trainng we took a few pictures. I wonder how Judy and her family can ever imagine how much the gift of this dog means to me. She did training with Emma several times a day for over two years. I will never be able to express my gratitude for all the time and patience she devoted to Emma.


Today April 19, 2010
Every day, week, month, and year I have Emma - I love her so much more. Today we did some errands with Greg. We were outside often and napped of course. How could I ever enjoy the day like I do? It is fun to see her and play with her in the yard. She is exploring the yard, I think she smells critters like rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and the like. She helped in the house yesterday we did some laundry and today just picked up a bit. Not a lot because of my fatique. It was a beautiful spring day.


Thanks for the support I get from individuals who read this blog. It has been 4.5 years since Emma entered my life. I should get my camera out again....she is as adorable and good as ever.

Mary

No comments: